A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Winnersh

Today I saw an advert for a job in Winnersh.

Winnersh is a town near Reading. And Reading itself is only 20 minutes, by intercity train, to London.

Did I apply?

No.

Why?

Well, I studied electronic engineering at Reading University in the mid-80's. In the second year (of a three year course) we were taken on trips to various local electronic companies. These trips were part of the course and therefore compulsory.

One of the companies was in Winnersh. It was quite smart. A totally open-plan environment, from manufacturing, through design, to managing director's desk. Robots went from stores to various desks delivering stock automatically collected. They were actually trucks on wheels which followed metal strips on the floor. I last saw one in Yo Sushi carrying a selection of drinks for the guests to pick up. It didn't recognise me.

For the mid-80s I guess this was all quite forward-looking. But the people there, and in other companies we visited, did not inspire. It was then that I realised that I didn't want to be an electronic engineer.

This revelation didn't help motivate me on what was a very demanding course. In my second year exams I graded at a borderline 2:1 (in those days that grade wasn't the norm). By the next years, I graduated with a 3rd. During my third year I looked at advertising and even went for an interview as a copywriter.

But I didn't get any offers in the world of advertising. Eventually I stumbled into a career in IT which turned out, for quite a while, to be rather good for me. And over 10 years later, as a result of this IT career, I became a chartered engineer.

Oh the irony.

Oh the double irony, as two days later as I was in intensive care.

So, I'm not too fond of Winnersh and I didn't apply.

No comments: