A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, October 28, 2005

So that's what it's called

In one of my posts yesterday I mentioned there was a limit to the number of effective social contacts in humans of around 150.

Turns out it's called the Dunbar number. As this article explains there's a lot more to it than a numerical limit. In fact the writer proposes a lower effective limit of around 50.

Still, whether it's 25, or 125, the effectiveness limit is much lower than the thousands of contacts that some people have in LinkedIn.

These articles were useful for me in both my roles:
  • as a job hunter - understanding the effectiveness of group sizes in social/business contact networks (+ it's interesting and I have nothing better to do than read blogs)
  • as a business builder - the problems mentioned in the articles are sure to hit us as our business grows.

No comments: