A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The difference

How can you tell executive search and selection companies from recruitment consultancies?

Is it the plush central London offices? The expensive buscuits they give? The masses of drop-dead gorgeous women they employ?

Well, the former send you a rejection letter - that's right, a god-damn piece of paper, in an envelope - rather than an email (or more usually, not bothering at all).

I received such a letter today in response to an application I made - by email - probably a month or more ago.

The actual text was pretty formulaic and thus worthless. I would like real feedback and some commentary on my c.v. This is best done by phone or can easily be done by email. It's the 21st century. Email is totally acceptable, especially as I know this company prefers to receive applications by this medium.

No comments: