A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Structure

I didn't do anything relating to jobs yesterday.

But today I got stuck into LinkedIn - the business contacts networking tool.

I actually joined rather than stick to the basic membership; well it doesn't cost much for three months.

This allowed me to send invitations to up to 10 people.

Being me, I thought about this in a structured way. First of all I created a list of everyone I think would be good on LinkedIn. Good for me or good for them. There was about 40 people in the list.

Then I did a triage. Colleagues will know that I triage everything at work. And encourage others to do the same.

My triage was based, somewhat, on the following criteria:

- who was already on LinkedIn
- who had a large number of contacts
- who, whether or not in LinkedIn, would have a good source of contacts, good for me that is
- who would benefit being in LinkedIn.

It's clear that a lot of people I've worked with are already on LinkedIn but haven't used it much. Like they have one contact. One! Hmmph.

But things are changing, LinkedIn is definitely becoming more popular.

Well, I could only send off six invitations today (I had already sent off invitations a few days ago) but that covered my no. 1 group in the triage. Once people have accepted these invites I can send out more.

OK, so I'm building a network in LinkedIn (and will do the same in openBC). But the next step is to work that network.

I need to think of an approach to this. I guess it will be around: thinking of countries and companies where I'd particularly like to work and then finding out with whom I am connected in those entities.

That reminds me to look at the Sunday Times 100 best companies to work for.

But first, back to the usual job hunting.

No comments: