A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Some changes

On the right hand gutter you'll notice some changes.

Basically I've removed the links to other job hunting blogs and replaced them with a couple of links to useful resources.

Why?

Well, one job hunting blogger was called up by the US Navy Reserve and is now blogging in Iraq (a few months, it seems, after starting a job), others didn't update much, Monster's blog was never updated and, besides, why would you want to read another job hunting blog?

Also, I needed to look up a country in the CIA's World Factbook and Transparency International's corruption index. So, I thought it would help (me, at least) if I had ready links to these sites.

Where was this country?

Sorry, not saying right now as it'd make it too obvious which job I was going for. But it used to be part of the USSR.

I applied for a job this morning which was a bit enigmatic. Less than an hour later the agent called. Told me more about the job. It's a month on/month off permanent role in a desolated former member of the Russian empire. Very expat. Lots of money, low tax and lots of facilities.

I looked up the country in the links I've mentioned. Not quite a democracy but reasonably stable. It's worse than a 100 in the index of corrupt countries (Finland scores a 1, it's the least corrupt; Russia itself scores 90).

He phoned up a few hours later to query the career gap in my c.v. I explained that that was when I was job hunting (during the depths of the IT recession), being in hospital after a fearsome accident, and studying.

His call is a definite bite.

Today I applied for six jobs.

No comments: