A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Five year olds

Now and then I meet up with a friend who also, as a career, manages IT support-type activities.

Over dinner at say, the Red Fort, whilst sipping an extremely good red wine, one of us will ask the other: "So, how are your five year olds?".

Neither, as far as we know, have children.

But, as I've said, we manage teams.

Now there are exceptions (and if you've ever reported to me, or Clive, and are reading this blog, you're definitely one of the exceptions). But as a manager you sometimes get the feeling that your team members are a bunch of five year olds.

In fact, since becoming a manager, there's at least one early manager of me, to whom, I feel, I should apologise.

When I became a manager of managers I felt a relief as I'd at last have sensible (in my view) direct reports.

Let's just say I was disappointed.

No comments: