A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, October 28, 2005

A good excuse

I think social networks like LinkedIn can be a good excuse for contacting some people.

For instance, today I sent an invitation to join LinkedIn to a recruitment manager at a consultancy. I actually met her in June just to have a general chat.

She accepted my invitation and also sent a reply email. She mentioned there may be emerging opportunities in her company. So, in a sense my invitation was a nudge.

Anyway, we'll meet for another coffee on Wednesday, after my interview (the one which was originally going to be on Tuesday but has been shifted a day).

OK, the "good excuse" use of LinkedIn (or openBC etc) only works once, when you join them and send out invites.

I'm hoping that these social networks encourage professionals to be more involved in networking. This hope is written from an English perpective - we're notoriously reticent and generally not very good at this sort of thing.

No comments: