A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Crashware

Today IE turned into a crash-monster.

It fell over three times whilst I was trawling through jobs. This is a big pain as I have to reload the browser and find where I was on the long list of jobs. This can easily go over 10 or more pages.


Why on earth are you using IE anyway?

It's only for job hunting, honest. I've been using IE with Browster so that I can quickly open links to jobs. As I spend several hours scrolling through web sites this facility does save a bit of time.

When I installed Browster it only worked properly with IE. I looked at their web site a little while back and it now also works with Firefox. So I've installed it.

You seem to need to hold down the ALT key but it basically works. I'll try it out tomorrow on the job sites. Hopefully it'll mean I don't have to use IE any more for job hunting.

4 comments:

ElisaC said...

Hi! I've recently started blogging for Browster. Glad you found the Firefox version. Hope it's working better for you. I'm going to check on the ALT key thing, as I didn't think you had to do that.

The blog is at:
http://browster.typepad.com

ElisaC said...

Got an answer on the ALT key requirement in Firefox:

"There are two ways to invoke Browster on Firefox: from a prefetch icon, or by holding the ALT key and mousing over any link. (The IE version has a third way—the mouse hover control.) The prefetch icons only show up on Google, Yahoo, and eBay. If he’s invoking Browster with the ALT key, it’s probably because he’s not seeing any prefetch icons where he’s searching."

Let me know if this is not the case.

Anonymous said...

well, with Browster on Firefox you do need to use the ALT key on some sites, like Monster.com, we have not yet implemented the lightning icons or hover control like on IE - we'll get there. thanks for using Browster!
Scott

The Job Hunter With No Name said...

Dear Elisa and Scott,

Thank you for your responses. I'm very impressed, especially as I only mentioned my problems on my blog rather than contacting you.

The sites I use currently don't work very well with even the ALT key.

I look forward to a hover control version for Firefox.

As I've mentioned before I think Browster is great. If you ever need a Brit to Beta test a version let me know.