A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

LinkedIn cheating

There's an interesting entry about using and "abusing" LinkedIn on this VC's website.

Some of it seems very apt.

I've been doing some LinkedIn work this afternoon. Well, I could only find one job to which to apply. But that's one more than yesterday.

This networking exercise started off quite structured. I wanted to see which companies out there "grabbed me". I've already gone throught the Times 100 Best Companies but couldn't find any that inspired. In fact I know people who have worked in some of the companies mentioned and would not agree with their inclusion.

So, I went through my list of contacts in LinkedIn. And I looked at their contacts and the companies they worked for. Still, very few inspired. I did however spot a couple. I'll be pursuing those in the next few days.

After a while I got a bit distracted and invited a couple of people (repeat invited in one case) to join.

I also responded to one indirect contact, a CIO. In his description he offered to connect with just about anyone interested. I don't normally respond to these but he's trying to help his central European country which is becoming rather significant in the IT world. One of the companies who recently interviewed me had operations there.

LinkedIn provides a template of emails but I didn't use them and wrote my own message. The CIO responded that mine was "one of the VERY few personalized [his capitalization]".

What?!

LinkedIn is an exclusive business contacts network. You can only join by invitation. Many, indeed most of the members are high-level corporate professionals. And yet people send each other impersonal invitations!?

No comments: