A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Surveillance

Every working day I spend many hours at the computer trawling two job sites. I see maybe 1500 to over 2000 jobs adverts a day. Although, for most of them, it's only the summary job information.

Since July I've made at least 10 application every week as a result of this trawling.

Although I seem to have a haphazard memory I do recognise jobs that have been advertised before. And names of recruiters.

I also record every application in an MS Access database I knocked up.

Today I saw a job for which I applied at the end of September. That's about 35 job applications ago.

At the time the recruiting agent was happy to put forward my c.v. even though I lacked some technical skills required by the client. It turned out, however, that none of his candidates were called for interviews.

So when he posted the same advertisement today I called him. The client wanted to see more people, he said, and I was on his provisional list anyway. So, he's going to forward my c.v. again to the client.

No comments: