A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Anonymous ads

Simon Howard in The Sunday Times has written an article about anonymous job adverts.

He's quite correct, you do have to be careful about losing control to agencies who won't tell you to whom they're sending your c.v.

Even more importantly I think applicants should be careful about ID theft. One well-known UK agency is now saying, on every advert they post, that they'll need proof of identity before you go for an interiew.

Fair enough, UK law obliges employers to check that they're not hiring illegal immigrants. [Non-UK readers may be surprised/horrified/delighted to learn that mainstream political parties are now treating asylum seekers as scapegoats]. But proof of ID normally means something like your passport or driving license. Both of these have your signature as well. If they fall into the wrong hands you're PWNED.

I reckon some scamsters are now advertising on job sites hoping to steal identities from applicants.

Should anyone ask me for ID I'm going to do a lot of due diligence: make sure I'm happy the agency is genuine and that the person to whom I'm sending it still works there.

No comments: