A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Everyday is like Sunday

Especially when it is Sunday. And especially if you live in a seaside town ...

If you don't know the lyrics go away, learn them, then come back.

I actually do live in a seaside town at the moment. And it is Sunday.

Today I applied for zero jobs.

I did nearly apply for one job, but just before I sent the application I realised I was writing to the Worst Recruitment Agency in the World. Being the weekend I wasn't that switched on to the whole application process. So I didn't fully notice who was advertising the job until the last moment. Phew. That was close.

Hang on. Why were you searching today?

Well spotted. I never look at the weekends. Damnit, even people who don't have a job need a break.

But I have an interview tomorrow up in London. So I thought I better search today for anyone who has posted a job advertisement over the weekend or during Friday afternoon.

Preparation

I'm being interviewed tomorrow by a rather large public sector organisation for a freelance project management assignment.

It won't pay very well but at least it's a job and it's up in London so it'll be socially better.

The good thing is that I can't really do any preparation for it. I usually trawl business sites or even go to a business library to find out about companies. In this case it just "is". And it's one of those public sector organisations which always will be just "is".

I will, however, polish my shoes to a degree considered unsafe during sunny days.

Job of the day

In recent weeks I haven't done any German study but I do like to read job adverts written in the language.

I saw one today which included: "Last but not least sind Sie das kreative Organisationstalent, das sich sicher auf dem gesamten Terrain des Veranstaltungsmangements zu bewegen versteht."

I like the "last but not least" bit. They actually used the same phrase in a paragraph before this one.

I'm pretty certain it's not a German colloquolism. Nowadays a lot of German, including quite formal text, use words like "sorry", "manager","business" etc. And I've found Germans like to swear in English. Who can blame them? We probably have the best swear words in the world. All those four-letter words ending in hard plosives (I think they're called plosives: "-uck", "-at", "-unt", "-iss" etc).

I know a few German swear words but they're useless. They should spend less time creating great cars, beer, er, etc and more time swearing.

How did I get on?

On Friday I set myself some tasks for the weekend:

  1. learn some XP
  2. do some business development
  3. maybe add some more to this blog site, possibly including Google's Adsense
  4. get my own domain name and tart up my web site.

Here's the results:

  1. I spent an hour looking at my flash cards for XP. I might take them with me tomorrow and use them on the train. I also have some flash cards on my PDA.
  2. Now have a pretty good finanical model of our business based around its cash flow. I'll have to look at adding more posts to the blog for that project.
  3. Well, as you can see, I've added some text. I've also applied for Adsense.
  4. I now have my own domain name. It's easier to give out over the phone than my old one (a sub-domain off my ISP). This is becomming quite important. When I phone agencies quite a few say they haven't received my email. I'm pretty certain it's them being dafty trousers. So, I give them my web address and they can see a version of my c.v. from there. I haven't, however, tarted up my web site so I'm not posting the URL here just yet.

I also went to the gym and got my email-from-Palm working again. This is surprisingly useful when you're travelling. Last time I went for an interview I was emailed from agencies but couldn't reply. So I'm glad to have fixed it before going up to London tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck... I am finding I am learning much about the correct usage of the English language, the English job markets and most importantly English people.
"This is becomming quite important" in my search for a job in England

ME