A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, October 29, 2004

Another call

For the last couple of days I've been phoning and emailing recruitment consultants who have kept in contact with me.

On Tuesday I had also phoned an agency in the Netherlands about a management job in The Hague.

She said she'd send me a full job description and asked me to quantifiy my experience for the technologies it would mention.

When the job description arrived I found they had a very specific technical requirement. Some of the database technologies I hadn't even heard of. The others, well I've managed people who managed people who looked after those things.

Rather than phone her I thought it would be adequate to send a nice email to her explaining that it seems I my experience wasn't suitable after all.

Had she been in the UK I would have phoned her, but trans-national calls are relatively expensive in the EU.

Today she called me. She said that the client didn't want a techie manager but a team and people leader. I defy anyone to have determined that from the job description sent.

Anyway, it's another examply of why it's always important to phone in these situations, rather than just email. She would have recommened me for an interview but I then told her about my new role on Monday.

Like everyone else to whom I've spoken, she was pleased for me and asked me to call her when the interim role has finished. She may then have some other role in the Netherlands suitable for me.

No comments: