A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Nice work

If you can get it.

The recruiter I met on Monday finally updated the agency. Who updated me, after some prompting.

Once again I had interviewed well. Apparently they would have given me the job but one of the other candidates had worked there before.

Fair enough. If I was recruiting I would go for someone who had this familiarity. Especially in a public sector organisation (like this one). For a start it, reduces the risk of them going postal. (If you don't know what "going postal" means see me after the class).

Anyway, it was good feedback from the agency.

Almost two weeks ago I had a telephone interview by a large retail bank. And I had the same response. They had given the job (a freelance assignment) to someone who had worked there before.

However ...

I received a phone call today from another agency who was recruiting for a very similar role with the same client. It sounded like the same job but the reference number and duration of contract was different. Large organisations tend to put out a multitude of similar roles at the same time.

It's very important not to apply for the same job with a different agency. The first agency could claim introduction rights which means they would have to be paid even though I was ultimately sourced from another agency.

I'm pretty certain this is another job and asked the agency to proceed with the application but bearing the similarity in mind.

No comments: