A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

It's meeting not interview

When I arrive at an organisation's reception I say I've turned up for a meeting with so-and-so. I never say "interview".

I believe it puts you at a psychological disadvantage if you say you're there for "an interview". As far as I'm concerned it's a meeting of equals. I have certain skills and knowledge they may require. They have, er, some money they can give me.

Actually it seldom is a meeting of equals. I tend to be better dressed, have a better haircut and speak better than most people interviewing me. Also, in the past, when I've conducted interviews, I conducted them better than people who have interviewed me. Moreover my shoes are invariably shinier than the person's on the other side of the desk.

No comments: