A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, October 15, 2004

Flexibility

I am truly flexible.

And I can afford to be as I'm not tied down by family, mortgage or kids.

Sure I want to work in Paris. But there are loads of other great cities I'd be happy to work in.

One day, hopefully, I'll have a family, a crippling mortgage, scary school fees and a wife who only buys Chanel and La Perla. And, who knows, a mistress who loves caviar and a cat with a hernia.

In which case I may be limited in where I can work. Meantime I want to be as flexible as possible.

So, the glib observation by TWRAITW, below (that I'm not that keen to work in France as I've applied for jobs elsewhere), disappoints me.

You don't really get that problem in the USA. There people will happily move states to find work. I'm aware it may cause some social issues but, hey, I'm not a bearded sociologist.

I'd be really pleased if that American attitude was adopted throughout the European Union. It needs to be.

No comments: