A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Not the only one

A couple of years ago I went for a panel interview for Membership of the British Computer Society. As a result of passing the interview I also received the status of Chartered Engineer.

At the time I was unemployed. One of the people interviewing me had also been made redundant. He would have been very experienced in the industry, quite senior and probably a Fellow. "You can't fight an economy" he advised me.

Two days after receiving the confirmation letters of my new status I was fighting for my life (apparently) in intensive care.

It's only in the last few weeks that I've started to use Google. Before that I've always used ixquick.com. Yesterday I wondered if anyone else had also written about their job hunting adventures in a blog site.

Funnily enough a few had. They were all American; one stood out. Looking at his site, for layout ideas, I discovered that he had started his own business and could speak Finnish. Damn. I'm attempting to start a business and am trying to learn the language. Also, being an ex-Navy officer his shoes are probably as shiny as mine.

No comments: