A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Another bad day

Today I couldn't find any jobs to which I could apply.

This was despite looking in the afternoon as well as in the morning; I hardly ever look on Friday afternoons.

I also phoned agencies who I had emailed during the week. Some of the responses were:

  • you're too senior for this role
  • the job has already gone
  • it's a company to which I had applied, via another agency, a few months ago.
The last was a bit annoying. I had a very good chat with the recruitment agent. He concluded by telling me the name of the client and was just about to send me the job spec.

Damn. I had gone for a test with them some months ago. It was a mix of a standard test and their own, home-brewed one.

I normally do quite well on the standard test they were using (I've been tested with this by other companies). However, with this company I think I did generally quite badly. I had got up very early (by anyone's standards) and had had a horrendous journey by train. By the time I got there I could hardly write my own name.

Anyway I think these sorts of tests are insulting, especially to an experienced science graduate. That should be enough to show I'm reasonably numerate etc.

No comments: