A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

The long lunch

I avoid phoning recruiters between mid-day and 2pm.

In fact I try to avoid phoning them just before and just after these times as well.

The reason?

Lunch.

Sure, some people lunch at 12 (e.g. me) others at 1pm (sometimes me again). If I phone them and they're away from their desk then it's a wasted call. If they're at their desk they may either be munching away at something or thinking about munching something.

If someone calls me just as I'm about to go off for lunch I'll be too panicky to give them my full attention.

In fact, in some jobs I've put my lunch hour in the companies' networked calendar systems. This has saved me from having whole days booked out, from 9am onwards, in meetings with no time to eat.

Today I applied for five jobs.

No comments: