A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Alien abduction

This morning I tried to phone everyone I had emailed yesterday.

Nearly all of them were on voicemail. That's very unusual. What was going on? Was it alien abduction, again? I didn't leave any VM messages as they'd only call back whilst I'm having my telephone interview.

Some recruiters had clearly been spared as they called me on my mobile.

Quite a few weeks ago I had contacted an agency about a contract in Cork. Like so many jobs I see this went on hold, indefinitely. However the agency, and their client, remembered me.

There's now a contract role going in London. The agency phoned me, checked I was still available (and not abducted by aliens), and happy to put my name forward. He even thought they may want to interview me tomorrow but that's now too late.

The company who was going to get back to me yesterday about an interview phoned me today. I'm not annoyed about this, rather this counts as a speedy response these days. I meet with them on Monday in London (this is for an interim mangement role and I was recommended to them by a friend).

Just as well I received these calls today. Despite looking at over 1000 job postings I couldn't apply to even one of them.

No comments: