A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Worrying

Report on BA's safety culture.

I strongly believe - though I don't have empirical evidence - that a good culture is vital to safety.

It's not enough to fix the specific faults, you have to step back and review the whole culture around the issues.

Disasters seldom happen in isolation, there tends to be a few near misses beforehand. These, in retrospect, can be seen as warnings. This applies not just in aviation but in nearly all endeavours. In fact, catching and acting upon "near misses" is a major activity of safety conscious organisations in all fields.

I don't know how BA's safety record compares to others - in the light of this report - but until I feel that they've made great improvements in their safety culture I'll avoid flying with them.

Big deal? Well, I do fly at least once a year and often much more when I'm in work.

No comments: