A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Saturday is a web day

Today hasn’t been all sitting on my arse, in a pub, drinking strong German lager.

In fact, I only did that during lunchtime.

Before and after I was doing job-hunting-related activities.

This was mainly spent updating my web-site. And this is relevant, as it contains all my professional details.

First of all I fixed some rendering problems. A few of the pages had the apostrophe rendered as an unknown character.

This was brought to my attention a few months ago (three months, actually, thanks Simon). I did have a quick look then but couldn’t see the cause.

Today, however, I had a slower, closer look and found that sometimes I used a different apostrophe character and it was that one which rendered badly. Quite a subtle cause.

Now fixed.

I also fixed a grammar mistake and made a few other minor changes.

I then had a good think about the colour scheme. Using colormatch.dk and Colorblender I found some better matching colour schemes.

Now, no-one would excuse me of design ability. But, I do think the site is clean and reasonably well laid out. I am a bit concerned about the yellow used for the links. So, I may revise it again one day.

But I do have to bear in mind that very few people have ever looked at this site.

I’m hoping to change this. Taking the hint from my “Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters” book I added some META tags. I also entered details about this site on Dmoz. So, maybe, just maybe, next time someone is looking for an IT team or project manager they’ll do a Google search and find my web site comes out at the top.

I won’t sit back and wait though.


No comments: