A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, January 09, 2006

More new approach

As you can tell from the letter I wrote to the company it represents a slightly different approach:

- for a start it's an on-spec letter as I couldn't find out who would be a good recipient for it
- it's punchier than I'd normally write, certainly the subject and opening line are punchier
- it's more sale-sy than I'd normally write and there's more text than usual

Plus the c.v. I attached ("my details") was in PDF format. I normally send a Word file in RTF but for this application I thought I'd see how PDF is treated by the company. I think it looks much better. (Incidentally I use www.gobcl.com for free conversion to PDF).

The advice I was given from at least one career consultancy was to print out such letters and send them by post.

I've done this a few times before but I simply emailed this one. Well, it's a high-tech very 21C company and I just don't think a posted letter would be well received.

Did you spot the error in the covering letter?

?

I put my last salary as £xx p.a. It should, of course, be £xx k p.a. though why it isn't £xxx k p.a. is nothing short of a national scandal.

Oh well, it's a minor blimp. I actually added that line just before sending and guess I did it a bit too quickly. The rest I'd proof read - aloud - several times.

No comments: