A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Early start

I had only just woken up when my mobile rang. Don't worry, it has a timer so that it will only ring after my waking time.

I picked up the mobile but dropped it knocking it out.

I switched it back on and found I had a voice mail from an agency. In fact the one who said they'd call yesterday but didn't.

So, I called her back and had a quick chat about the role. It was quick because a "preferred" option was security clearance.

I know, I know. In recruiter speak "preferred" means mandatory.

Worst, it turns out that the recruiter was a government department (the agent didn't say which one). And unlike private sector recruiters government departments seem to take much longer in vetting (and not just for high security jobs).

I pointed out that I had worked at an investment bank, so had been vetted, and hadn't been naughty since. But this wouldn't make any difference - they needed security cleared candidates.

No comments: