A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bracknell is undead

… as once seen written on the one of the many subway walls in that town.

It still is.

As always I had planned a lot of contingency time for my trip to Bracknell.

And thanks to our national railway system not one second was used up.

That’s very unusual.

So I was left with quite a lot of time before my interview.

What to do?

In Bracknell?

“Leave” is the usual answer.

But in this case I needed to eat lunch.

Many years ago I worked in that town for a few months. Sadly, not much has changed. I was hoping that there would be at least some minor change, for example, maybe they could have a Pret A Manger sandwich shop in the high street or Mall. Everywhere else has at least one.

Pret A Manger, however, would be too progressive for Bracknell. In fact, I didn’t even stumble across a Starbucks. I’m not saying that there isn’t a Starbucks in the town. That would be too unlikely. But I didn’t notice one and that is very unusual (not that I wanted to go to Starbucks).

Eventually I found a reasonable sandwich shop.

After eating there I walked to the office where I was going to be interviewed.

The office wasn’t actually in the town and would normally warrant a taxi ride but I did have a lot of time to kill.

I still arrived early and walked around the industrial estate for a while.

Anyway, when the time was due I went and had the interview.

It immediately transpired that the job spec. I was given was totally wrong. Damn, I’d been reading up on SAP over the weekend.

The recruiter was looking for a project manager, more a programme manager really, to help deliver a massive (and I mean massive) service implementation.

Well, I have some experience in the service delivery field plus, of course, project management. But the scale and complexity of this initiative was much larger than anything I have come across.

This was clear, indeed clear from my c.v. (which he had seen a few days before) and he said that this was his concern. Which is fair enough.

Still, the interview wasn’t too negative. I debriefed the agency immediately afterwards (another expensive call to Germany). It’s possible the recruiter will still want me. And, as I’m sure I interviewed well (especially as it wasn’t the spec. I’d expected), he may keep me in mind for other assignments. We’ll see.

Afterwards I went into London, met up with a few friends and had a few beers. Oh yes.

No comments: