A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Excitement

Late yesterday afternoon I applied for a contract job - project managing a relocation for a bank.

Quite up my street.

But I forgot about it until late this morning.

I then phoned the agency who was very impressed, indeed excited. I'd sent a generic c.v. but he wanted more quantitative details. I have such a c.v. ready to go.

He also made a few other suggestions which I incorporated and then sent to him.

After lunch we spoke some more.

He was now concerned that I hadn't worked since end of May and that this wouldn't look too good. Less excited now.

I was a bit miffed about this: I'm doing my best to get a job but "you cannot fight an economy".

Anyway, I emailed an apologia:

"... This is what I've been doing since end of May:
- not working and resting after an intense interim assignment
- travelling, I've visited Helsinki, Tallinn and Munich
- studying Windows XP
- learining some Javascript
- building a business in Finland, it's registered and we hope to be trading soon
- applying for jobs, I've attended interviews and received one offer which I rejected as the agency misled me and the client about rates...."

I phoned another agency about a job for which I applied yesterday. I asked him how he was finding the market. He said it was buyount. I explained that I've found it rather erratic and he then recalled that the summer time was particularly bad.

That was more reassuring.

He also said I had a really good c.v. Which was nice. But he didn't have a suitable job for me.

Bugger.

A few hours later the other agency phoned back. He'd spoken to his manager and they were going to put my name forward to their client.

Phew. A bite.

No comments: