A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

So that's how it's pronounced

Early in October I mentioned an advert for a job in New Zealand with an interesting USP (no problems parking).

One of the reasons I didn't apply was because I couldn't pronounce the name.

Well, I received a comment advising me on how to pronounce Porirua. It's Pour - Ree - Roo - A.

My thanks to Johnny Max for pointing this out.

Unfortunately Johnny doesn't mention if the R's are rolled or not. That's the stumbling bit.

I'm not as bad as Jonathon Ross (UK TV chat show host and, er, geezer; pronounced "Woss") or Roy Jenkins (most successful UK finance minister ever, eminent historian/biographer, Chancellor of Oxford University and dead person; pronounced "Woy"). But I do not roll my Rs.

In fact, coming from the south of England, I don't need to. Well, I shouldn't need to if it wasn't for all those foreign Johnnies. I know a couple of centuries ago we had to take over most of the world just so that Standard English would become the lingua franca and we wouldn't have to bother learning other people's language or pronounciation. And when I write "pronounciation" I mean rolling the letter "R".

In fact the letter R crops up in my name. Twice. Why do you think I use initials?

No comments: