A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Nicer

After this second interview I had an less formal chat with a recruiter for a financial consultancy.

I met her last in June and she suggested we meet up again.

We went to the same bar, near her office, for a coffee. But, well, it was close to 4pm, I didn't have any more interviews, and it was her suggestion after all, so he had some wine instead.

Then a colleague of her's came along. She had just become a British citizen. We had another glass of wine.

One of the questions you now have to answer, if you want to become British (and let's face it, if you're foreign, you do), was:

Who is the head of the Church of England?

Even I got this wrong. I thought it was The Queen. Others thought it was the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Apparently it's a Mr. J.H. Christ.

Now, it could be argued that he doesn't attend any meetings. He hasn't been seen at General Synods for sure. But the counter-argument would be omni-prescence. Still, I doubt his name appears on any minutes.

Still, as Stephen Fry has put it: "To be British is to win first prize in the lottery of life, to be Christian is to win first prize in the lottery of the after-life".

No comments: