A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Improvement

By lunchtime today I had only applied for three jobs all week.

That's not good enough: my target is an absolute minimum of five applications per week.

After lunch I did a big trawl. Almost immediately I had responded to three job adverts.

That's good, yes?

Well, they were all adverts for the same job. Despite being advertised by different recruitment agencies they had near-identical wordings.

So, I applied with near-identical c.v.s and covering e-mails.

A bit later my phone rang. It was one of these agencies. I've actually spoken with this agency a few times about contract roles with this very large client of theirs (as it turns out). Once again, they've put my name forward.

According to my accounting conventions it doesn't matter that these three applications were for the same job. They still count as three applications.

But it didn't feel right to me so I carried on hunting.

I managed to apply for one more job before exhausting the JobServe. I then switched to IT Job Board. This yielded another application.

I'm actually in two minds about JobServe versus IT Job Board. Sometimes I think JobServe is better, but sometimes it isn't and sometimes their database falls over. But I've used it for years and most of the time it seems to have the same jobs as IT Job Board.

Anyway, today I applied for five jobs and received one bite. So, I've reached my weekly target and my soul is at ease.

No comments: