A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Brighton

If people don't know where I live I tell them it's near Brighton.

Well, it's near Brighton until you get to Brighton when you find it's not really that near.

Most people, however, do know of the town where I live, for one reason of the other, but mainly because it's a sea-side resort.

I think that if Morrissey lived in the South he could have written songs featuring references to the town where I live, without hardly any changes to the lyrics that he's actually written about Northern towns.

Today I saw an advert from my favourite agency; they were looking for a contract project manager. I phoned them up straight away. The agent recognised my name and we had a chat about the role.

The job was advertised as being in East Sussex. Hmm. I wonder where they could mean?

They meant Brighton. Every advert I've seen for a job in Brighton lists the location as East Sussex. Well, Brighton is indeed in East Sussex but there's lots of other towns in that county. Er, not that I can name any.

After our chat the agent sounded keen to put my c.v. forward. As she couldn't find it on her system I emailed one over. She immediately phoned back and asked for some technical beef on the networking side (even though the client isn't looking for a techie). I quickly amended my c.v. (simply adding the fact that I've worked with Cisco switches, routers etc etc) and sent it back.

Only application of the day and a bite.

No comments: