A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Quick turn-around

This morning I saw a job for an interim manager in central London.

I sent off my c.v., waited, then phoned the agency.

It's important to phone everytime. When the agent answered my call, he looked at his email in-box and was aghast at all the applications that had been sent to him. "Well, ignore the others," I said, "and just look at mine".

He did, liked my c.v. and wanted to send it to their client. Funnily enough this was for a property consultancy who used to work with me at a company a few years ago.

About an hour later he phoned back. The client liked my c.v. too but my desired rate was too high for them. To be honest, my rate is pretty low and they won't get an interim for lower.

These days it's turning around. People are talking about rates going back to 1999 levels.

No comments: