A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Job of the day

Saw these requirements yesterday for a job in Europe:
  • Sunny disposition
  • Asian background would be helpful
Now, the advert didn't ask for Asian languages. So this is a discriminatory and, I would reckon, illegal advert. Although I have an Asian background, there's no way I'd apply. I hate prejudice and discrimination more than I hate the French.

Co-incidentally I read yesterday an article on the BBC news web site about a Briton who had to totally Anglicise his name in order to get another job. It's probably not something I would do (my surname is Asian) for a couple of reasons: I'd get totally confused and I don't feel it's right to do. In my view my funny foreign surname is not English, not least because I am.

However, if I ever suffer another bout of long term unemployment then I might give it a go.

Oh, and going back to the job advert, I wouldn't apply for a job with such a daft requirement as "sunny disposition".

No comments: