A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Perfect c.v.

As you can imagine I now have the world's best-ever c.v. Two pages of solid, knicker-dropping sales material. All in 12pt TimesRoman.

And it covers in two pages what others would cover in three or more pages, I'm sure.

Yet, it doesn't work for everyone. One agent, today, said it didn't "grab him" even though it specifically mentioned things he was looking for.

So, I made major amendments and resent it to him. He also was a "three-pager", you know, one of those recruiters who prefer a c.v. to cover three pages (what else would "three-pager" mean?).

Well, I'm a svelte "two-pager" and my c.v. tends to appeal to "two-pager" recruiters. They're the types who would never turn to a third page. I guess my minimalistic approach appeals to them and, it seems, often their clients.

Anyway, it's really difficult to extend my c.v. to three pages without it looking all wrong. So I made my amendments within my standard two-pages. I hope it works for him.

Co-incidentally this was one of the few agencies who don't like my email format. My Reply-To address is different from my Sent From address and their system won't take it. Not that it gives a bounce message. I had to go to my Yahoo account to send it.

No comments: