A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Bad day

OK, today I applied for two jobs. So, that's not too bad.

However, one only had an 0870 number and you know I won't call them.

I did call the agency handling the other job for which I'd applied. All she could say was that she had been inundated with applications for the job.

I also called some agencies I had emailed yesterday for specific jobs. They said the same. They all had masses of applications they were wading through. They had no time to go through mine. Quite a few agencies had already made a shortlist before I could even phone them.

Oh dear.

Worse. I called a former colleague who was handling my application for a contract role in Amsterdam. Apparently, the client wasn't going forward with it. He did warn me that the client had a habit of suddenly changing their mind. Nevertheless, it's a "no".

Yesterday morning I had two live possibilities (having been interviewed on Friday and Monday). Now I have none.

To amuse myself I called the agency handling my application for a job in Duesseldorf since April 2003. We had a very good chat (although we have had those before, quite a few times). He'll resubmit my name for a couple of roles there. It seems their client (a very large company) has an on-going rolling restructuring programme which throws things up in the air a bit.

Then, to amuse myself some more, I contacted the agency handling my application for a PM role in Prague since October 2003. I hadn't spoken to him for about three or four weeks. When we last spoke he advised me that the client wanted to see me soon in Prague.

Anyway, I phoned him today but found he had left the recruitment company! Before getting me a second interview - the slacker! I managed to get through to a colleageau with whom I had spoken about the role before. She said she'd get back to me.

No comments: