A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Australia

I see adverts for jobs in Australia which are posted on the JobServe overnight. This is because I make a very broad search of IT jobs so as not to miss anything relevant.

I saw one job for an IT relocation project manager. Contract too. In Sydney, which I hear is rather nice.

In fact my last company had quite a few Aussies in it and were, in fact, setting up offices there.

Although I'd prefer to work in Europe I was tempted to apply. I'd also heard that if you're there for less than six months you don't need a work visa.

But I checked on the Australian government's web site and that doesn't seem to be the case. For a professional like me, there seems to be no way to take a contract.

Well, the only way would be:

1. meet an Aussie girl
2. talk to her for more than half-an-hour, in fact, probably a lot longer
3. marry her [there may be a few more steps required before this one]
4. convince the Australian immigration service that it isn't simply to get a six-month contract there. Kids might suffice as proof.

Looking around my bedroom there's a definite shortage of Aussie girls.

If you're an Aussie girl and would like to apply, please bear in mind that you'd need to be:
  • cute
  • non-smoking
  • extremely non-vegetarian
  • natural blonde would help, oh, so much
  • pretty smart
  • not want a dog
  • not mind returning to the UK after six months.
Applications to the usual email address.

Meanwhile, back to looking for a job in Europe...

No comments: