A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Bullish

For the next few weeks I'm being quite choosy.

I'm not applying for jobs all over the place. Only metropolitan areas will do. And I'm not applying for jobs which don't pay more than I was earning in my last assignment (pro rata-ed up to an annual salary, which was quite a lot).

Some of these jobs are, of course, contract assignments so they tend to pay quite a bit (relatively) any way.

My bullishness is a result of two things:
  • Thing no. 1 - a general improvement in the job market for IT people
  • Thing no. 2 - I just finished an interim assignment where I received a directors' award - both these facts look good on my c.v.
Obviously, if this "resting" period continues for a few months my pickyness will decline. Meantime I have to remember it is the holiday season, so the market won't be that buyount.

Today I applied for three jobs and had two bites.

No comments: