A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Tallinn

For various reasons I couldn't job hunt Tuesday morning and in the afternoon I went to the airport then, eventually, flew to Tallinn, Estonia.

I had a fun couple of nights there.

Let's start with the important things:

Food

I guess no-one goes to Tallinn to eat. If Chirac had been rude about Estonian food we'd all have nodded and sympathised that he'd ever tried some. Far too much salt for start.

However, on the second day there I found a very good restaraunt. So good that rather than write home about it, you'd send a telegram. If the UK had a telegram service and you could be arsed, that is.

Drinking

The beer is as good as Finland's - that is, very good.

Girls

On the whole very nice. One thing though: they do like to dye their hair blonde. And badly too. It really must be the blonde hair-dye capital of the world.

Now, I can spot dyed blondes at 50 yards, in the dark, with my eyes closed. But even less discerning people could spot that there are no real blondes in Tallinn.

Nevertheless there were a lot of gorgeous women there.

Langauge

Both Finns and Estonians tell me that although their languages share the same unique root, they're not that similar at a functional level.

What's the Finnish for "bollocks"? I bet it's the same as Estonian.

Cost of living

Well, it all seems cheap. Excluding hotel and airfare I spent £50 over two nights and I was pushing the boat out.

Internet

If I end up with cancer it's because I suffered two days' exposure to radiation from WiFi spots which are in every cafe (not just internet cafes), hotels and other places around the city.

City ambiance

Felt like I was in Prague again.

Employment

I'd definitely work there, though not on a local salary.





No comments: