A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Shopping

This afternoon I went to a nearby town to:

- pick up some more contact lens

- find some trousers.

Tomorrow I'm off to London for an informal interview. The recruiter said to dress informally and there lies the problem.

Normally I either wear a suit (too formal) or jeans (probably too informal).

So, I needed chinos.

The town where I, er, live wouldn't do anything as trendy as chinos. So I went to a nearby town which is slightly more upmarket. Not only did they do chinos, they also had contact lenses.

Don't get me wrong. This is a town where old people go to die. It really is dismal. The fact that it sells chinos is just a mistake in some marketing executive's national plan for retail outlets.

So tomorrow I'll probably be dressed like an American in Europe: chinos, blazer, tie-less shirt and brogues. And the people I meet - a web design company - will probably be dressed in ripped jeans, desert boots, bare mid-riffs and cleavage exposing tops.

Well, I hope so.

No comments: