A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Quickie

Well, although it's Friday I still want a job.

Trawling through the usual job sites I managed to apply for two, yes two, jobs.

There was one which really seemed to match. I fired off a c.v. and covering email and determined to phone the agency after lunch.

But 10 minutes later there was the happy sound of my mobile phone ringing. It was the agency! The first thing the agent said was she really liked my c.v. and, in particular, my covering email. She said it was great to receive an application where there was a summary of why I was suitable for the role.

Oh.

I got this approach from an ex-girlfriend (she wasn't an ex at the time but, boy, was she working at it). And she got it from a recruitment consultant.

Basically, this is what you do:

- read the advertisement (well, thanks babe - not that I'd call her "babe" as I like my testicles where they are)
- pickout the key attributes from their advertisement
- state how you meet these attributes
- er, that's it.

Apparently that worked for her every time and was nothing with her being a gorgeous blonde honey.

Despite us splitting-up and her, therefore, being wrong about everything, she was right about this.

I was really pleased to hear this positive response from the recruitment agent. It vindicates my succinct approach to job hunting.

Moreover, after our chat she said she'd put my name forward to her client. Great, a bite.

Today I applied for two jobs.

This week I applied for 10 jobs. I received two bites and attended one interview.

No comments: