A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Business cards

Early on, when I started this blog, I wrote about the importance of having your own business cards.

Done right, they're not cheesey. They're certainly more effective than trying to beam data from one PDA to another (my preferred choice).

A few weeks ago, when I was flying to Tallinn, I started talking to the occupant of the seat on my right. He knew Tallinn very well and gave us some good advice.

He was also developing a business and we talked a bit about business in the Baltics and Nordics.

Anyway, we exchanged details. In my case I handed over my business card. He didn't have one so had to wait whilst I wrote details into my Palm Pilot.

My business cards include my web site's URL. And my web site includes a PDF version of my c.v.

Yesterday I received a "hello, nice to meet you" email from him. Plus, he's seen my c.v. and wondered if he could send it to some business contacts he has.

You never know, so that's why it's important to carry business cards and to have an on-line c.v.

No comments: