A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Good

But actually my interview last week wasn't a waste of time.

As you may recall, after the interview I met a friend who asked for my c.v. Then his company sent me an email asking me about my medium-term aspirations.

I displayed great levels of will-power not to write:

  • just get some sort of employment
  • to earn enough to spend it on vast quantities of beer and chocolate (the Oktoberfest is now on, if I went tomorrow it would be my sixth or seventh visit)
  • take an MBA and then leave the company for a better paying position (these days I'm glad I didn't waste time and money on one of these)
Instead I wrote along the lines of "continue doing what I do ..." which is true. Well, it's true when I'm employed. Obviously.

I wasn't too sure about "continue doing what I do ...". Felt it could be read as being cocky (though it certainly wasn't written in that way).

Anyway, I had a reply today asking me to attend a first interview with them on Wedneday!

And their email added that it should be informal dress!

I've never been interviewed in casual dress before. But I think it's great. Although I look smart in a suit I much prefer to work casually dressed. In anycase, I think I can look smart without a tie. My casual shoes are Loakes and I'll wear chinos, a blazer and a Muji shirt. Should be fine. Must remember, however, to buy a pair of chinos!

No comments: