A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Kick off

This could be the start of a bumper week.

Yesterday I applied for one job. But today I applied for six jobs. I do, however, have the slight suspicion that five of them were for the same job but advertised by different agencies (and what's more I might already have applied for that job last week).

Today I also got a bite from an agency to which I applied last week. When I called them on Thursday the agent wasn't available. I left my number and forgot about it.

But around 6pm today he called. And he really liked my c.v. In fact he thought his client's rate would be too low for me. I'd like to think so too but the reality is it's fine.

He also knew the last company I worked for - he even knew one of my colleagues at the company.

He hasn't put my name forward to the company as he's still working through the c.v.s sent to him but I'm on the shortlist.

I also got a bite from the company where my friend works. They sent me an email. My mobile phone picks up text messages to alert me when I get an email. Handy but these only display the sender's name and the subject line.

I was out when the email was sent and I had a sinking feeling that the email would be a straight-out rejection.

When I returned home, however, I found it was asking for more details. Specifically about my medium-term aspirations.

I'm too tired now but tomorrow morning I'll have to think of a succinct, appropriate response.

No comments: