A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Final dash

Fridays are always a bit hit or miss. Especially since we've had all day opening for pubs.

Sometimes there are jobs advertised, sometimes there aren't. In any case I often don't make much effort on Friday afternoons. I reckon recruiters won't be able to do anything with my application until Monday, anyway, even if they are still sober (and if I was a recruitment agent I'd be drunk on Friday afternoon - might help me forget).

In fact, it's arguably better not to apply on Friday afternoon as the recruiter may forget about the application over the weekend.

Sometimes, however, I feel "damn it" and make a final push.

Today was such a day and I applied for four jobs, which is good on any day, let alone a Friday afternoon.

But I didn't phone any of the agencies as a result of these applications - that can wait till Monday.

Around 5pm I had just about finished when my mobile phone rang. First ring of the day. It was a call from the last agency I had emailed.

There seemed a very good match between his client's requirements and my skills. Now, his advert had asked for certain technical skills which I don't have. I told him so and he replied that really, as it was a PM role, that was hardly an issue and he appreciated my honesty. He's putting my name forward. That's a nice bite, right at the end of the day.

Today I applied for six jobs.

No comments: