A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, August 02, 2004

Getting motivated

At the end of last week I set myself five tasks for the weekend:
  1. find out what my professional title is these days
  2. re-assemble my workdesk
  3. do some work on the business development front and update my other blog
  4. carry-on learning Finnish and studying for the MCP in XP
  5. watch TV and read randomn pages from the web.

Let's see how I got on:

Professional title

About two years ago my membership of the British Computer Society was finally accepted. And to cap it all they made me a chartered engineer. It was all rather pleasing to get this professional recognition. It meant more letters after my name (I'm also a BSc).

In fact I was struck by the irony of becoming a CEng. Whilst studying electronic engineering at university I realised I didn't want to pursue it afterwards. A big demotivator. Although I took an honours degree I steered clear of engineering in my career. And yet somehow I ended up as an engineer.

Two days after receiving these membership details I was in intensive care barely conscious.

I also received the title Chartered Information Systems Practitioner which I felt was quite apt. I used it on my c.v. and business cards.

Trawling through the BCS web site I later found that being a CEng I should use the title Chartered Information Systems Engineer instead. But I still had 450 business cards to go.

Then, this May, the BCS changed things round again. When they write to me they now add the letters BSc(Hons) CEng MBCS CITP after my name. The last one means Chartered IT Professional.

So yesterday I trawled around their web site but couldn't find much more information about this. I then changed my web site and c.v. to reflect my CITP status rather than CISP.

I rather think it's too many letter to put after one's name, especially as they nearly all relate to the same thing. So on my email signiature I put the "chartered IT professional" bit in full beneath my name as a sort of "this is what I do/am".

Not sure what to do about the business cards though.

Re-assemble workstation

As mentioned below I've done this and my life is oh so much better now.

Business development

Read the other blog site slackers! Suffice to say I like being a webmaster.

I hacked the code for the business site from my personal site.

As I was checking through it I noticed that the mailto: command wasn't working. This meant that if anyone clicked on our email address it wouldn't load up their email client to send an email to our business.

This could only mean one thing. The same problem was on my own site - which I've been using for a few years. Drat. No matter how much checking I do I still miss things.

Anyway, these errors were quickly corrected.

Studying

If you have any really good excuses I could use for not studying Finnish or XP please let me know.

Surfing

Well it was the weekend.

No comments: