A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, August 19, 2004

An improvement

In that today I applied for six jobs.

That means that this week I've applied for a total of 10 jobs. And I've still got half a day to go.

Furthermore I had two bites.

One was an email from a company contacting me on the off chance I was interested in a contract in London. I was, spoke with them and they said they'll put my c.v. forward.

The other one was more noteworthy in that I initially had doubts about applying. It was for a UNIX support manager. Now, I've had responsibility for systems which ran Unix. But my involvement was to recruit people who were experts in Unix. My own experience of Unix is quite limited.

Initially I looked at the advert and decided not to apply. After applying for a few other jobs I went back to it. Using a c.v. tailored for another job I sent off an application on the off-chance.

Twenty minutes later the recruiter called. We had a good chat - it turns out we went to the same university (not that we knew each other). I was honest about my experience in Unix and he was fine with that.

He said he'd put my name forward and send a job specification by email.

No comments: