A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Some facts

Facts, as we know, are generally bad things as they can get in the way of opinions.

For some reason I had the opinion that Singapore would be quite a corrupt place. Well, it has got a governing party which plays very hardball indeed with the opposition. So, I suspected that their businesses would be similarly suspect.

Turns out that they rank number five in Transparency International's comprehensive list of un-corrupt countries.

That's impressive. The UK is eleventh and the USA is 18th. Finland is, of course, the least corrupt country in the world.

There's been a little bit of criticism in the last few months, years and even decades, about the Central Intelligence Agency of the US government.

But I can't fault them. When I want to find out about a country I go to their World Factbook and I'll get a very apt synopsis about the country in question. Today I found it very useful in finding more about Singapore.

Now, it doesn't give GPS co-ordinates of military bases for cruise missile attack, or infiltration/exfiltration sites for special forces use. But there's very little call for that sort of thing in my line of work so I can't complain. I'd imagine some US military personnel are a bit miffed about the lack of such information but I'd tell them to look at other countries' intelligence services. For example, the British Secret Service doesn't even have a web site. If you ask me that's taking secrecy a bit too far.

No comments: