A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Not that I'm panicking

Oh gosh no.

I mean a day without applying for jobs. Doesn't phase me at all.

Why should it? I mean, today I applied for, er, 2 jobs.

Both were for relocation projects, of which I have some experience.

I phoned one of the agencies a few hours after I had applied. The recruiter said that my c.v. didn't really jump out at her. She felt I wasn't technical enough for the role.

Let's gloss over that - I don't want Blogger.com to remove this site.

But half an hour after emailing the second application, to a different agency, I heard the happy sound of my mobile ringing. It was the recruiter.

We went through the job details - a relocation programme in Singapore with lots of money. I haven't been to Singapore but I've heard it's a fine city.

We then covered the awkward bit about my career gap.

He phoned back a little later and asked for a more detailed c.v. My first thoughts was: how am I going to put in more details in just two pages? Then I relaxed and asked if he'd be happy if I went to three pages. Actually, I think that's what he wanted. So I added loads more detail (which means loads more bullet points in my case) and sent it off to him.

I should hear from him next week.

So, this week I've had two bites and made 10 applications. Not bad. And one half-day to go, except it's Friday 13.

No comments: