A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, August 09, 2004

The German question

I got through to the agency handling my application for a job in Duesseldorf.

Their client hadn't got back to them. Not too surprising as Germans tend to get a nasty outbreak of vacations around this time of year. And remember that Germans have quite a lot of vacations to take.

It was good to talk to the agency again. They advised me that they had put my name forward for two very similar jobs. And for these jobs they had only put forward a total of four names, two of them being me!

So, what do I do if I'm offered this docklands contract before the Duesseldorf (permanent) job? Unfortunately I'm in no position to hedge. These days the trick is to get the first job going, as long as it's half-way suitable. And having applied to this company in Germany (via the same agency) last year I know they could pfaff for months and months before getting back to me.

But don't get me wrong. I'd much rather be in Duesseldorf than the docklands.

No comments: