A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Wierd day

I managed to apply for five jobs today.

But I didn't get any bites.

I tried to phone agencies but the only one who answered hadn't received my c.v. Which is wierd as I'd received an acknowledgement from her agency's email system.

I have this theory about Fridays, especially Friday afternoons: they're all down the pub, or just returned from the pub. So, normally I don't make too much efffort on a Friday. Today was a bit of an exception.

For overseas readers there are two "professions" who top, or is that "bottom", polls of worst occupations:
  • estate agents
  • journalists
Readers from some of our current or former colonies may know estate agents better as "realtors".

But it's different. For example, I went to a black-tie (tuxedo) dinner party in Canada a few years ago. A realtor was invited as well and he was practically guest of honour (ok, I exaggerate). Whereas in England you wouldn't let one in your house.

I don't think I need to explain about journalists.

Another occupation which must be close to these two in rankings is surely that of recruitment agent. Not entirely fair as some are quite good, and some exceptionally good. But a lot, well a lot must be failed estate agents whose ethical standards were insufficient for them to become tabloid journalists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John - you should know by now that IT recruitment consultants are estate agents who have lost their driving licence.

EM