A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, July 22, 2005

London

Whilst the police were busy shooting a suspected terrorist I was in London for an interview.

It went well although I was deficient in a few things, mainly Sun systems and data centre management. But they agreed (actually volunteered) that I had the transferable skills.

As I said it went well and I should hear back next week. If I'm offered the job I'd probably take it.

The interview was held close to where I worked until the end of May. It took a lot of effort avoiding going into auto-pilot, walking into the old office, going into the old comms room and crashing a few servers. I actually bumped into a few former colleagues afterwards whilst I was on the street walking back to the station.

This time the trains ran smoothly. Including the underground. There weren't that many people on the trains and we were all eyeing each other up. For a moment I thought I was in there but the girl giving me the look was, I guess, checking for unnatural buldges in my suit.

I'm more specific in my scrutiny and am on the look out for anyone who is: Asian-looking, young, carrying a rucksack, chanting passages from the Koran, with a Northern accent.

No comments: